The Association for the Protection of the Environment and the Marine Turtle in Southern Baja (ASUPMATOMA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of the endangered sea turtles of Baja California Sur, Mexico, and the overall environmental sustainability of Los Cabos’ beautiful beaches, lands and surrounding communities.
ASUPMATOMA was founded more than 18 years ago by René Pinal, a prominent real estate investor and conservationist in Cabo San Lucas, along with a team of biologists and local residents to address the pressing environmental issues facing Los Cabos. In particular, the organization is a leading worldwide advocate of the preservation of the endangered sea turtles, which are now at risk of destruction in the Sea of Cortez region due to rapid land development, pollution, and illegal hunting and fishing practices.
For nearly two decades, at Pinal’s Rancho Punta San Cristobal estate, a three-and-a-half-mile stretch of environmentally protected beaches and lands (located along the Pacific Coast of Baja approx. 15 minutes north of Cabo San Lucas), ASUPMATOMA has saved tens of thousands of sea turtles in the wild and hundreds of thousands of baby sea turtle hatchlings along the beaches of Los Cabos. In addition, Pinal’s natural lands protect more than 17 other species in the area, some which are also endangered.
- Weekly Roundup, December 6-11, 2011
- The Citigroup Plutonomy Memos: Two bombshell documents that Citigroup’s lawyers try to suppress, describing in detail the rule of the first 1%
- Rick Perry’s anti-gay ad: The spoof videos! — PLUS: MSNBC host Mika Brzezinski slams Newt Gingrich in must-see rant
- Children Under Attack: A Culture of Unpunished Exploitation 2/2
- Children Under Attack: A Culture of Unpunished Exploitation 1/2
- Another Reason John McCain Should be Tried for Treason – A Reader’s Opinion
- Mitt Romney: The Man Who Couldn’t Stop Flipping
- Weekly Roundup, November 28-December 4, 2011
- Middle Class Americans: You are a Tiny Dot
- Sarah Palin in "red bathrobe" on Sean Hannity, Fox News: No, I won’t get back into presidential race, "we have a good slate of candidates" – UPDATE